Sunday, June 21, 2009

Virtual KVM

I have and old G4 quicksilver which belongs to the group which I use to backup my work and access old files that require classic mode. So for a long time I have been struggling with an extra keyboard and mouse on my desk. A KVM is pretty much useless as I prefer using my macbook keyboard and VNC and remote desktop are a little slow. 

Yesterday I came across a great little program called KMremoteControl which allows you to use the keyboard and mouse of one computer on another essentially creating a virtual KVM. KMremoteControl is free to use and installation and setup are really straight forward. All you need to know is the ip address or domain name of the computer you wish to control.



With KMremoteControl you can either allow the controlled computer to advertise its availabili
ty or not and there are built in features to require the user to log on before use and encrypt the traffic between the two computers.











KMremoteControl works on both mac OS X and Windows and is a great solution for anyone who has two computers and for which a KVM is not suitable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment